13 Nov Why to Journal
I always thought journaling was a lot of work, and it can be, but it also can be short and sweet. I have never had the patience to write an entry every day on the things that happened, I hated the idea of reading them years later because I thought it was stupid and was scared to death that someone will sneak into my private world. At least from my POV if I was going to write it down it had to be personal, the things I didn’t tell anyone else, therefore panic crept up my back at the idea of someone else reading, making fun or having “power” over me.
Why did I change my mind? well, first I grew out of my teens and early 20s, which are full of insecurities, lack of knowledge of oneself and soul-searching. Additionally, I also discovered not only the benefits of this practice but it can take all different shapes, it does not need to be a “notebook” with daily entries.
To me, journaling just means setting aside a little quiet, undistracted time to sit down and think about my life. What I have done, what I want to do, how to do it, what help and preparation do I need, random ideas..etc
“If you’re serious about becoming a wealthy, powerful, sophisticated, healthy, influential, cultured, and unique individual, keep a journal.”
- It can help you focus on areas you want to work on, for example, Gratitude, forgiveness, dreams, manifesting, cooking journals. Basically, they can be for one thing only.
- Journaling decreases the symptoms of asthma, arthritis, and other health conditions.
- It improves cognitive functioning.
- It strengthens the immune system, preventing a host of illnesses.
- It counteracts many of the negative effects of stress
- It can help you prioritize, clarify thinking, and accomplish your most important tasks, over urgent busy work.
How to Journal
There are several ways of going around journaling you can go with the classic entries in a book everyday, every other day or on as a need basis or you can…
- Write letters to yourself, angels, spirit guides,..expressing your thoughts and ideas
- You can use an app like “notes” in your phone and just write down bullet points, full paragraphs..etc.
- Voice recorder, why not? for some people just talking about it is the best way to journal, specially if writing does not come easy
- Video Log, Do you want to see how you were feeling? log it with your phone, turn that camera on. sometimes your expressions and postures will tell you more than the words themselves.
I tend to have a mix of things, I always keep a small notebook with me were I write random thoughts or even full entries, but if you look closely around my office you will see random pages scattered all over the place that start with “dear angels…”
Give it a try, it helps empty the mind of worries, concerns and start/finish your day with a peaceful soul. If you want to burn it after you write it, do it. Nothing wrong with offering your words to the universe to handle and then making them disappear. As always, find a way in which it works for you and it is not “one more task”,. The goal is to make you feel better and joyful.
#journaling #journal #personaldevelopment #growth #mindful #emptyyourmind